Wednesday, February 26, 2014

“Keeping Jazz’s Rhythm With a Shutter” by Aram Avakian, by Hannah Schwartz


Hannah Schwartz




This series called, “Keeping Jazz’s Rhythm With a Shutter” by Aram Avakian is a series about the jazz musicians on the late forties and early fifties. One image surprised me. The caption reads, “Mr. Garner soaked his sore hands in his hotel room sink. Paris 1947”. It was taken when Avakian was shooting recording sessions at Columbia Records in the 1940’s and 1950’s. I chose this image because it really shows the difficulty of being a musician. The majority of the photos in the series were taken in the recording studio or at performances, but this image shows a different side of the music business.
Most people only see the performers on stage, but this image of the aftermath speaks volumes about how much of a toll the music takes on the musician.  You can tell from Mr. Garner’s expression that he is exhausted. The man has fully given himself to his music and this is what is left. He is slumped over with his head almost in the water. When I first saw the picture I thought he was drowning or falling asleep and about to fall in the water. His face shows exhaustion, but also relief. I think this photo is powerful because it shows the side of the musician that no one really gets to see. It is such a personal moment that we are allowed to peek in on. It is like being a fly on the wall. While on stage they and separated from their audience, so seeing Mr. Garner in this vulnerable moment is special and would probably be a bit surprising to one of his fans. Imagine seeing a musician or performer you love passed out in a sink post show! It would definitely give me a new perspective on some people. It reminds us that they are human too.
While I believe this is a strong image alone, I do believe it is more powerful as a part of the series. As I was scrolling through the photos, this photo was the one that made me pause. It was so different. It didn’t stick out in a bad way, but definitely showed the audience a whole new level of vulnerability. All of the images remind the audience that these musicians are human too. They show how much time, effort, passion, and hard work these people put into their craft. I love how the photo is in black and white. I think it adds warmth too the photo. I love how the reflections on the water were captures and his hands are distorted beneath. It puts attention on his face and how truly comforted the man looks by the water. Overall, I believe this is a successful image.

No comments:

Post a Comment