Monday, May 12, 2014

Alvia Urdaneta: Missed Opportunity


Alvia Urdaneta
Documentary Photography
May 11, 2014
Professor Ray
Missed Opportunity
            One evening last fall, my father and I were driving around Long Island. Being from Pennsylvania, my family rarely gets to come out to New York, and when they do it is always for some sort of special occasion. I cannot remember anymore where my father and I were going that evening, because one moment has overshadowed the entire visit.
            At one point in our drive, my father and I were driving through an industrial neighborhood on Denton Avenue in New Hyde Park. The street has a great blue-collar vibe during the day, with husky men walking around covered in grease on their way to the deli on the block to lunch. But it was nighttime and the street was empty, it was cold and very dark. It was then that my dad (a fellow photographer) stopped the car suddenly as we saw a school bus parked next to a junkyard, burnt up and destroyed from what must have been a fire.
The bus was captivating. We both could not stop gawking about what a magnificent site the bus had become, but were also conflicted with the idea of a school bus on fire. We both instantly started listing ways we would want to photograph the bus, and could not get over the visions of how the photographs would look. Unfortunately, neither of us had our cameras, so I took out my phone and snapped this image of it with promise to come back.

                             

By the time I returned to look for the bus camera in hand, it was gone. Just like that the opportunity for all of those great ideas was missed. Since then I have thought about that bus and tried to think of ways to have that opportunity again. Now with summer approaching, I hope to reach out to some junkyards to see if they will let me photograph inside the yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment