Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Missed Opportunity - Exploring Movement

   My most recent encounter dealing with missed opportunities was the first time I tried to shoot movement in the photo studio. I had a friend, Stephanie Grover, who really wanted a couple shots of herself in motion since she is a dancer. Being in the dance world myself, I have had quite a bit of experience shooting people during performances on stage or during rehearsal. But, with that being said I have never tried to shoot a series of motion shots while in the confined space of a photo studio.


  Trying to sync the lights with the movement as well as the back drop, was definitely a different set up and production then just shooting around a stage. So after deciding to go bright and white with the back drop to give Stephanie the illusion of hovering in mid air, it was time to start shooting. Most of the moves she was trying she really had to get a few steps head start, or a a prep step for a jump of some sort. It was difficult trying to capture her at, not only the peak of her move, but with her arms and legs in all the right positions, eyes open, and hair just right. I experienced quite a few missed opportunities during this shoot to try and get the exact picture I was looking for, and one that she thought really showcased her talents.

  Timing was really the most important aspect in this shoot, and it took a while to get in the same rhythm that Stephanie was moving in; once I did it was almost like her body was controlling my camera. Our communication with each other, as well as adapting to her style and motion pattern, made for a really great photo shoot. I hope that if I ever run into anymore 'missed opportunities' in shooting a place or a subject like I did with Stephanie, then I can find a way to change up my shooting style or work around them to discover new techniques like I did with her shoot. I still consider part of Stephanie's shoot to be a missed opportunity because by the time we reached our mutual rhythm with each other, she was a bit tired, and even though her shots still came out beautifully, I believe her talent would have shown through a hundred times more in the opening shots when she was not as tired, and a bit more loose.

   I think this will help me with my DOC projects in realizing that I should take some time to explore an idea, or a set up, or prepare myself, so that when the opportunity arises that needs to be captured, I won't miss a beat. I think practice is always something a photographer should be focusing on gaining, so I think with more practice I will be able to capture the photos I would like, rather then doing only one shoot and expecting it to come out perfectly the first and only time. 









No comments:

Post a Comment