Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Missed Opportunity: Paul Sarris

The missed opportunity that stuck with me the most through my photography was the summer of 2011 during a family trip to Mexico. During our stay in Mexico we visited Mexico City, Acapulco and San Miguel de Allende. While in San Miguel I was able to capture one of my favorite photographs I have ever taken. I saw a homeless lady with all of her possessions sitting in front of a brick wall. After I took that photograph I turned around and saw a street vendor. The vendor was a man probably in his late 40’s in age selling balloons and little toys for children. That street vendor was my missed opportunity.

The reason that this was my most important missed opportunity is because of the expression and emotion on this face. Just from looking at him I could see his sorrow and hardships. He was standing in a square next to a short brick wall with a lamppost next to it. It was a priceless photograph because of the unaltered emotion and how open and vulnerable he showed those emotions. The reason that I missed the photograph is because I had my telephoto lens on and the zoom was too much to capture the image.


Even though I did not get the image I will take the experience with me being able to see what will make a successful photograph. I will use the skill of looking at the world as a photographer in order to help me capture images that will only get better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment