Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Missed Opportunity: Victoria Espinoza

I think my biggest missed opportunity is more than just one shot. It was probably multiple shots that I missed out on. I went to Nicaragua with my church when I was a junior and senior in high school, to a small town called Amatitan. We stayed for a week each time, building houses and interacting with the community.

I was just realizing my passion for photography when I was junior, so I brought down my camera but really hadn't learned anything or researched on my own anything about documentary photography. So the photos that I got did document my trip, however they didn't focus at all on what I took away from the trip, which was optimism in spite of the struggles that these people had to deal with each day.

I wish I had gotten more shots of the mothers who volunteered to make us all of our meals each day, cooking in front of an open fire in a tent while it was well over 100 degrees outside. I also wish I got more shots of the children, trying their hardest at pick up soccer games with flip-flops that were falling apart at the seams. There were 100 other moments looking back I wish I documented, and that is definitely what I would say is my biggest missed photo opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment